Friday 29 July 2016

Daughters of Castle Deverill - Santa Montefiore


It is 1925 and the war is long over. But much has been lost and life will never truly be the same again.
Castle Deverill, cherished home to the Deverill family in the west of Ireland for hundreds of years, has burned to the ground. But young and flighty Celia Deverill is determined to restore the sad ruin to its former glory. Celia married well and has the wealth, after all, to keep it in the family and she cannot bear to see it stand neglected.
But dark shadows are gathering once more, as the financial markets start to shake. And everything that felt so certain is thrown once again into doubt.
A compelling story of family and history, from the author of the top ten bestseller Songs of Love and War.

What I thought:

Wow, wow and wow again!! I read Songs of Love and War and was totally blown away by it, so I was absolutely thrilled to discover that it was the first part of a trilogy and I immediately pre-ordered part two. As soon as Daughters of Castle Deverill appeared on my kindle, I literally dived in. I never dreamt that part two could be anywhere near as good as part one, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Daughters of Castle Deverill began just where Songs of Love and War left off and it took this epic drama to another level. The characters I fell in love with in the first book all grew in personality and there were several new additions, an eclectic bunch that I would never in my wildest dreams have thought had a place in this story, but they just added to the wow factor that this book delivers. The part played by "The Shrubs" in this book ( sorry, but I don't want to spoil this treat for you by telling you what they are), was a touch of genius. I loved them in part one and totally adored them in part two.

The story continues, it's 1925 and a new owner moves into the castle, but after a massive refurbishment there is a shocking discovery. Kitty, Bridie and Celia, upon whom the story is largely based, all face life-changing decisions in one way or another, unsavoury characters rear their ugly heads and along with the revelation of long hidden secrets, this book embodies the great television drama serial it will one day surely become.

There is only one negative comment I can possibly make, and that is that I have to wait until next year for part three. Both books could easily be read as stand-alone novels, though I highly recommend you read Songs of Love and War first, purely because it is so good and will add to your enjoyment of Daughters of Castle Deverill.

No comments:

Post a Comment